Monday, September 20, 2010

Oh Baby Baby

Today one of my students threw a temper tantrum - complete with pouty face and sitting in the corner. There were also several f words thrown in there. There was stomping out of the room and returning to sulk in chair. There were dirty looks and sighs. I could not believe that I was witnessing this. Oh and  by the way - this was a 10th grader. Yeah. What had I done to warrant such behavior? I would not give him a pass to get his skateboard so that he could skateboard around school for the last 20 minutes of school. How horrible of me huh. This incident has stuck in the back of my mind all night. I had heard horror stories of this student since last year. We have a new (and amazing) principal this year who actually follows through with the students and this student is having a tough time with that. Last year he was allowed time to 'cool off' when he didn't want to stay in a class. Translation: previous principal allowed him to wander in and out of classes whenever he wanted to. When I refused to let him do this today, I was met with a 5 year old in a grocery store that cannot get the toy he wants. After the first two wonderful weeks of school, known as the honeymoon period, the challenges of educating teenagers has reared its crazy head

No comments:

Post a Comment